3rd JPEG NFT and Fake Media Workshop Announcement
Both Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) and fake media impose several technical, societal and legal challenges. The JPEG Committee has a significant track record in security and trust in imaging applications and hence initiated the JPEG NFT and JPEG Fake Media exploration studies.
The JPEG NFT exploration study aims to better understand the needs in terms of imaging requirements and how existing as well as potential JPEG standards can help to bring security and trust to NFTs in a wide range of applications and notably those that rely on contents that are represented in JPEG formats in still and animated pictures and 3D contents.
On the other hand, the scope of the JPEG Fake Media exploration is the creation of a standard that can facilitate secure and reliable annotation of media asset creation and modifications. The standard shall support usage scenarios that are in good faith as well as those with malicious intent.
To engage with stakeholders and identify challenges and technical solutions in these domains, the JPEG Committee has organized several workshop:
- 1st JPEG Fake Media Workshop Proceedings, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1, wg1n90026, Online, December 15th, 2020.
- 2nd JPEG Fake Media Workshop Proceedings, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1, wg1n91019, Online, March 25th, 2021.
- 1st JPEG NFT Workshop Proceedings, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1, wg1n92021, Online, July 1st, 2021.
- 2nd JPEG NFT Workshop Proceedings, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG1, wg1n100022, Online, October 12th, 2021.
Since common challenges were identified between the two activities, this third workshop will focus on synergies between NFT and Fake Media.
- Date: January 11, 2022
- Time: from 16:00 to 17:00 UTC
- Access: Zoom
- 16:00-16:20 UTC - JPEG activities in Fake Media and NFTs with common challenges and issues (Frederik Temmermans, VUB-imec)
- 16:20-16:40 UTC - Introducing Copyright 3.0, no need for NFTs (Daniel Maricic, Kelp.Digital)
- 16:40-17:00 UTC - Panel discussion on common challenges and issues in JPEG Fake Media and NFTs (Moderator: Kambiz Homayounfar, RayShaper SA)
Interested parties are invited to join the JPEG NFT and JPEG Fake Media mailing lists and regularly consult the JPEG.org website for the latest news.